January 15, 2013

My Genius Idea

Have you ever come up with a genius idea and couldn't wait to share it with other people?  That happened to me this weekend. And I just have to share this idea.

I was cleaning our apartment and as I was changing the sheets/making our bed I noticed that our comforter was all bunched up in the duvet cover {like it always is}.

This drives me totally crazy.  When we went to register for our wedding gifts, the lady helping us told us that we had to get duvet donuts - they are little plastic round things:

Photobucket

These "donuts" are supposed to hold your comforter to your duvet cover but they never work.  Alex's side always comes undone the day after I fix them, and mine come off soon after.  And after fixing them over and over I eventually just gave up.

It really bothered me to have a bunched up duvet cover, so I started thinking of good ideas of how to fix the problem.  I searched all over the internet for another product that I could use to replace the donuts.  But every review said that they didn't make a long term solution.

But then I had a light bulb moment.  And that light bulb is a super good idea {if I do say so myself} and it is the cheapest fix I could find. 

Step One: Gather a sewing kit and ribbon

Photobucket

Step Two: Flip your duvet cover inside out

Step Three: Sew a small section of ribbon to all of the corners of your {flipped inside out} duvet cover

Photobucket

Step Four: Do the same to each corner of your comforter

Step Five: Line up the comforter and the duvet cover so that the ribbons are together

Photobucket

Step Six: Tie the two ribbons in a bow

Photobucket

Step Seven: Flip your duvet cover so it is right side out

Voila!  You now have a comforter/duvet cover that won't slip!

So far we haven't had a single problem with this little fix.  I have thought about sewing some more ribbons onto the middle of all the sides of the duvet but it's not needed at the moment, I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!