June 02, 2014

Come Follow Me: What is the Priesthood

A few months ago I was called to be the 2nd counselor in the young women's group in my ward. I have loved this calling and have enjoyed teaching from the new curriculum called Come Follow Me.  As I have taught lessons and learned from the other leaders, I decided that I wanted to share the words and thoughts with you.  So after every lesson, I will be doing just that.  I hope that you enjoy the words and can also learn from these lessons.


The topic for the month of June is The Priesthood.  Which is something that I am glad we have in our church.  It is something that is so sacred and something that can bless everyone that it touches.

So you may be asking yourself, what is the priesthood?
The priesthood is the eternal power and authority of our Heavenly Father. Through the priesthood, God created and governs the heavens and earth. Through this power He redeems and exalts His children. He gives worthy priesthood holders authority to administer ordinances of salvation. All of Heavenly Father’s children can qualify to receive these ordinances and access the power and blessings of the priesthood.

The fabulous counselor that taught this lesson was named Erin.  She focused on two talks that I believe are incredible and should be  read and pondered by everyone.  My favorite part in both of these talks was that they spoke that while men are the ones that administer the priesthood, women have equally important responsibilities in his gospel.  I think it is really important for our girls to know that they do have a place in this church.{p.s. in the links below there is a video of the talk, it is almost more powerful to heard the words spoken by such spiritual men}.

  1. Power in the Priesthood by Elder Neil L Anderson
    • As surely as we know that God’s love is “alike” for His sons and His daughters, we also know that He did not create men and women exactly the same. We know that gender is an essential characteristic of both our mortal and eternal identity and purpose. Sacred responsibilities are given to each gender.
  2. This is My Work and Glory by Elder Russell M Ballard
    • In our Heavenly Father’s great priesthood-endowed plan, men have the unique responsibility to administer the priesthood, but they are not the priesthood. Men and women have different but equally valued roles. Just as a woman cannot conceive a child without a man, so a man cannot fully exercise the power of the priesthood to establish an eternal family without a woman. In other words, in the eternal perspective, both the procreative power and the priesthood power are shared by husband and wife.
Erin ended the lesson with a wonderful video called "The Blessings of the Priesthood". This video explains the purpose of the priesthood and how it can bless the lives of everyone.  Take 3 minutes to watch this, you will not regret it.




I love the things that I was able to learn in our lesson yesterday.  I am so glad that the priesthood is in my life.  There are many worthy priesthood holders all around me.  My husband, my father, my brother, my brother in laws, my father in law, my grandpas, my bishops, our friends and so many more.  I am grateful for all men that have the priesthood as they go out into the world and administer the ordinances of salvation.  
 
If you have any further questions mormon.org is a wonderful resource, you can even request a meeting with our missionaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!