April 03, 2014

Utes Craft Project

 A few weekends ago, Alex went out to dinner with his bestie Gabe.  And I took advantage of the time alone to make something crafty.

As crazy as this is going to sound, I came up with this project in a dream.  One morning I was dreaming about crafting and when I woke up I immediately told Alex about it and made a note on my phone so I wouldn't forget what I was going to do.

I went to pick up supplies, and my game plan changed a little bit.  I initially envisioned making them using paint stirrers that were painted to match the colors I wanted, but I went with canvas instead.  And then I decided to make 3 pictures instead of just one.

So I started by gathering all of the supplies:
  1. Red, White and Black paint and painting supplies
  2. three small canvas
  3.  Cricut and misc vinyl


After I had everything in order, I started crafting!

First I painted stripes on one of the canvases using red paint and painters tape.

Then I started cutting the letters.   I needed three phrases - "Who am I Sir, a Utah man am I', "Go Utes", and "Ki-Yi". {for those of you that are not familiar, these were all taken from the University of Utah fight song}


Once the words were cut out on the Cricut machine, I applied them to the canvas.
  • For the "Who am I sir" I used the letters themselves to adhere to the canvas
  • For "a Utah man am I", "Go Utes" and "Ki-Yi", I used the outline that was cut from the Cricut as a stencil


After the vinyl was adhered and everything was in the right place. I  painted the canvas.
  • On the "Who am I sir" canvas I split it right down the middle color wise.  I painted the top half a solid red, right over the vinyl letters.  Then I took a thin paint brush and painted each letter of "a Utah man am I" in red
  • To make the "Ki-Yi" canvas I simply took a small brush and painted the letters in just as if I was using a stencil.
  • And with the "Go Utes" I took another small brush and painted the letters {on this canvas I had to wait slightly longer due to the stripes being slightly tacky}



And then after patiently waiting for everything to dry, I was done!


I need to figure out a way to hang them up but I think they will replace a big poster that is hanging in our office {it The Hundreds and doesn't quite go with the rest of the University of Utah decor, don't worry LB - it will be moved somewhere that you can enjoy it!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!