December 09, 2013

Thanks to my Parents

This past week I went to the dentist and the eye doctor. And a few weeks ago I went to visit my doctor.

All of those visits got me thinking.

I was really lucky when I was growing up because my parents were always so willing to give myself and my brother the things we needed/wanted.

Here are just a few of the things that I am forever grateful that my parents provided with me:

- My dentist always tells me that I have a beautiful set of teeth. But if I am honest, it wasn't always that way. My brother and I both had to have braces. Even though it was a necessity, my parents were more than willing to let us have them... Even when I had to have special surgery on my mouth! I can't even imagine what the difference would have been if I wouldn't have gotten braces. {we can just say, it wouldn't be pretty}

- I got a new pair of glasses this week. And when they were ringing me up, I couldn't help but gasp when they told me how much it would be {before insurance}. Between the yearly exams, glasses, and contacts {for my brother and I}, that is a whole lot of vision correction. But my mom and dad realized we needed to see so they faithfully took us in, my mom ordered our contacts. And they just made our good vision possible.

- While I haven't ever had a major illness {knock on wood}, my parents were always ready to take us to the doctor if we needed to go. Working in the field that I do, I know that it isn't ever cheap to go in for a visit. So I can thank my lucky stars that they were able to give that to me. 

- My parents always emphasized the importance of education. They made it possible to go and get my degree. As I was looking a job, I was so happy that I even had that degree because it gave me a step up. And I loved being in college and experiencing life as a student at the U. Some people aren't as lucky as I am to get an education, which makes that degree that much more special to me.

- One of the best things my parents taught me was a good work ethic. My dad worked hard his entire life and my mom always had a job that she was dedicated to. They made sure my brother and I worked as teenagers and paid for things ourselves {to learn the value of a dollar}. Now as I am getting further and further into the working world, and Alex is about to start his career, we are learning that hard work is not always the easiest. But since we were both taught that work ethic from a young age, we aren't worried about our future. We have plans and big purchases in our future {like a home} that we know we can't achieve without working hard.

As I have gotten older I really appreciate the things that my mom and dad were able to give me. Which was sometimes more than they had as kids. I hope to one day provide for my own kids as well as they did for me!

So thanks Mom and Dad!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!