December 31, 2013

Feeling Accomplished

The topic for today is: Remember a time when you felt the most accomplished, proud, or just darn high on life...what was it that you were doing?

There are two days in my life that I can say I was really proud of myself.  The day I walked at my college graduation and the day that I finally received my diploma in the mail.  Graduating college was really gratifying.


I enjoyed my experience as a college student, both in high school as a 'ed-net' student {also known as distance education: I was a high school student at Brighton and a college student at Utah State University at the same time} and as a full time traditional student at the University of Utah.

If you ask me in person, I will say that getting my associates degree in high school was easier than it sounds.  But it took a lot of sacrifice for a teenager.  I couldn't slack off and take a entire schedule of easy classes my senior year.  I had to strategically plan what I would take all 3 years I was a high school student {with a lot of help from my mom, my guidance counselor and our USU contact}.

When I made it to the University of Utah, I was thrown right into my major {which I happened to choose one I didn't enjoy so I had to change}.  It was a little tough finding people I had things in common with.  {I mean, I was 18 and in classes with kids who were close to graduating!} But those things made me stick my nose in a book and get it done.


During all that hard work, I also found out that my scholarship was in danger - they were thinking about taking it away! Which meant me and all of the other scholarship recipients were going to lose our 75% scholarship, all because the Utah State legislature couldn't stand by their promise.  Thankfully our funding was restored and all my hard work didn't amount to nothing.

When I finally got to walk across the stage {as the first in my immediate family to get a degree} and touched my actual degree, it made me feel so good. It made all my time and effort worth it.  I felt really accomplished.

What makes you feel accomplished?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!