How can I be in the world, but not of the world?
“Where once the standards of the Church and the standards of society were mostly compatible, now there is a wide chasm between us, and it's growing ever wider” (Thomas S. Monson, “Priesthood Power,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2011, 66). The Lord wants us to remain true to His standards and not partake of the evils of the world. At the same time, He expects us to be a good influence on those around us.
Katie started the lesson by doing an object lesson. She had a mason jar with water and oil inside, then she added a few drops of red food coloring and shook it up. After everything settled, the water was red but the oil was not. She explained that we needed to be like the oil. We can be around the red water, but we should remain separated.
We then opened our scriptures and read John 15:19 and Matthew 5:14 - 16
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
We took some time to talk about these scriptures and what the girls thought that they meant. I shared that Matthew 15 was actually in my patriarchal blessing and that I have been prompted to be an example to those around me because while I am doing good, it will give me a light and others will want to come and see what is making me the way that I am.
We then made a list of what the world wanted us to be vs what the lord wants us to be:
- World: Tattoos, being immodest, extreme appearances vs Lord: our body is a temple
- World: Pre Marital Sex vs Lord: wait for marriage
- World: you should be just like a model vs Lord: you are a unique child of God
We ended the lesson by reading from Elaine S Daltons talk "Remember who you are". Katie had an excerpt ready for each of the girls to read silently and then explain the situation to the class. This is a fantastic talk that explains "There is no more beautiful sight than a young woman who glows with the light of the Spirit, who is confident and courageous because she is virtuous."
I loved the lesson this week because I know that our young women are being tested by the world and it isn't always easy to be in the world but not of it. I think that this lesson tells the girls that they can be the lights that others compare themselves to.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!