December 29, 2014

Come Follow Me: What is Zion?

For our final lesson of 2014, I gave the lesson titled What is Zion?  I found this lesson prompt to be a bit harder than the ones in the past and compared to the others from December (How can I invited other to come unto Christ?, How can I help hasten the work?, How can I establish a Christ Centered home?).  But after finding a great conference talk, I finally came around to this lesson.

I started by writing the word Zion on the board and asking the girls what they thought of when they heard the word Zion.  The answers varied.  One said "Missouri" and one girl said "swamps".  {When we asked her to clarify she said, I think of dark and swampy places like you would see in a church movie depicting Joseph Smith's time. . . Sometimes you just have to roll with the kookie answers ;) }

We then read from True to the Faith to get the real definition of Zion: 

The Doctrine and Covenants contains many passages in which the Lord commands the Saints to “seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion” (D&C 6:6; see also D&C 11:6; 12:6; 14:6).

The word Zion has various meanings in the scriptures. The most general definition of the word is “the pure in heart” (D&C 97:21). Zion is often used in this way to refer to the Lord’s people or to the Church and its stakes (see D&C 82:14).


In the early days of this dispensation, Church leaders counseled members to build up Zion by emigrating to a central location. Today our leaders counsel us to build up Zion wherever we live. Members of the Church are asked to remain in their native lands and help establish the Church there. Many temples are being built so that Latter-day Saints throughout the world can receive temple blessings.

The word Zion can also refer to specific geographic locations, as follows: The city of Enoch (see Moses 7:18–21), The ancient city of Jerusalem (see 2 Samuel 5:6–7; 1 Kings 8:1; 2 Kings 9:28), The New Jerusalem, which will be built in Jackson County, Missouri (see D&C 45:66–67; 57:1–3; Articles of Faith 1:10).
 We then listened to Elder M Russel Ballard's talk from the October 2014 session of conference titled "Stay on the Boat and Hold On!"



I loved this talk because of the metaphor that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the "Great Ship Zion".  I like the idea that you want to save others from "drowning" or "testing the waters" by getting them on the ship.

I also loved the line in the image below from Elder Ballard.  Building Zion is an integral part of Heavenly Father's plan and anyone can assist with taking Zion to every corner of the earth.


I was glad I was given the opportunity to teach the young women about building Zion.  I enjoyed learning great things from scriptures, church materials and Elder Ballard.  I hope that after this week the girls can carry this lesson and build Zion in their homes, ward, stake and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a second to comment, we love hearing from you!